The Kiddos

The Kiddos
November 2013

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Mikayla 12 months



Dearest Mikayla,

As your Daddy has said, you are the perfect addition to complete our family. When we were trying to decide whether or not to have a third child, your Daddy says that he would have these dreams about a tiny little face, which is one of the reasons he agreed to have have you. Turns out, that tiny little face was yours, and we of course cannot imagine life without you.



I still look at you, my little girl, and sometimes cannot believe you are mine, even as you turn 1-year old. And actually, although you are not the little blonde, curly haired girl that I had envisioned, I cannot get your sweet dimples and pig tails out of my head. Your hair, from day one, has captured the attention of many, including mine. (Doing your hair has definitely been a learning curve for me.) Visually, you are just the cutest little girl, ever!



But, your personality plays into that as well. You are full of smiles, and you love to laugh, and you are so content most of the time. You often entertain yourself on the floor, mostly by pulling out all the wipes and diapers from your basket under the coffee table. (Never mind the basket of toys right next to the diaper basket!) You greet us when we walk in the door, and there is nothing better than the big slobbery kisses you give us.



Verbally, you seem to have words for everyone in your family, including Chilli, except for me. You have clearly been saying "Daddy" for a couple months. (Either that, or "doggie," but we won't tell Daddy that.) You love to imitate your brothers - when they scream, you scream. You also love to imitate sounds. Often, when we are driving in the car, we will have full "conversations" back and forth. When I am drinking water, you scream to let me know that you want some too. On our birthday, you very clearly said "Mama" (Mimi as witness) for the very first (and only) time. What a birthday present!

While it is clear that you love your brothers very much, you also seem to recognize that you already have to defend yourself. As soon as they get near you, you spit. If they continue to get nearer, you bop them on the head. If they scream, you scream. Mikayla, I'm not sure exactly what this means for the future of our household, but I'm pretty sure it at least guarantees that you'll know self-defense.



Food: I don't know where to begin. We've had our issues from day one, but moving on to solids has had its challenges as well. As we started on some basic fruits and vegetables a few months ago, you quickly showed your distaste for many of them. Gradually, you have narrowed it down to only eating sweet potatoes, carrots, beans, or bread. You vehemently shake you head "no" and purse your lips just at the sight of a spoon containing [Insert the name of any other fruit or vegetable here] coming toward your mouth, while your little pigtails sway in the breeze. I've started baking muffins and pancakes with purees, just so that you can continue to try to get some basic nutrition. Tonight, specifically, you refused peas, grapes, apples, macaroni, and broccoli, but ended up eating almost half of a grilled cheese with turkey. We will see what the doctor has to say next week...



A few other tidbits:
-You love to be outside - in the stroller, on the patio, in the swing, or on the back of the bike.
-You got your first tooth on New Years Day, at 11 months.
-You started crawling about two weeks before your first birthday.
-You still do not sleep through the night, but I am happy to get up at least once (admittedly, sometimes more) with you to snuggle and give you a few extra calories.
-You seem to love music; when any type of music comes on, you start to move and dance and bop around
-You also love water. A bath nearly always calms you down, and the big pool doesn't scare you in the slightest.
-You like to perform and have may tricks:
-Play "So Big" by raising both arms up high when asked "How big is Mikayla?"
-Click your tongue
-Give kisses
-Wave bye-bye
-Blow kisses

Mikayla Jade, while I remember life without you, I cannot imagine life now without you. Your hugs, your smiles, your cuddles everyday are so precious to me, and I cherish every moment that I have with you. I never grow tired of giving you a bath, or putting you to bed, or getting you up in the morning. Everyday with you is a joy, and I am so grateful you came into our lives!

I love you!







No comments:

Post a Comment