We had a weekend get-away to Tucson, AZ last weekend, and joined up with Grandpa and Grandma Schmucker at their time-share. By chance, all in the same weekend, Scott had off of work, the kids were out of school, and I had a little break in my work activities, so we took advantage of the opportunity and took the first available flight out of town.
We made the most of our two full days there. The first day we took a hike in the Saguara National park through the desert. While on the 2 mile hike, TJ did a scavenger hunt and some other activities that earned him a Junior Ranger badge. He (we) learned all about various cactus plants and wildlife. He was really into his project and was determined to finish the whole thing. Afterwards, back at the visitor station, the real Ranger took about 10 minutes 1 on 1 to talk with TJ about what he learned and honor him with his badge and certificate. It was pretty cool, and well, worth a day out of school!
The second day, we went to the Desert Museum (more like a zoo) where the highlight was definitely the 6 javelinas that we saw. The kids were pretty engaged all day, but each time they looked at the mountains which they had never seen before, they really just wanted to hike and reach the top of the mountain.
We started driving, and by chance came upon a trail call Hugh Norris, and at the trail head, the sign read, "very long, difficult, beautiful" trail. Hmmm, not much to go on. I was a bit concerned about the rain, because the clouds over the mountain were a bit dark, but at the same time, the sun was peaking through the clouds just above us. We decided to set off and just go as far as we wanted, as we knew the boys would get tired, and we did not have much water.
We just started hiking, and everything fell into place. The sun came out, the boys fell into pace, Mikayla was enjoying the scenery, and we were all just taking it in. After hiking about 20 minutes, Scott and TJ were pretty far ahead, and Luka wanted to rest. We could see TJ and Scott way up ahead, and almost at the top. Our voices carried across the mountain and I yelled at them to go on up, and we'd meet them back down. Well, Luka took one look at them, and one look at the top of that mountain, and said "Mommy, I'm going to the top too." For the next 20 minutes, he hiked almost without a word, and was determined to not give up.
To my surprise, and Scott's too, we all ended up at the top of that mountain together, and it was almost surreal. To be up there with the entire family, with a 360 degree view of the sky and mountains around us...it was awesome! We spent the next 20 minutes taking some pictures and climbing on the rocks at the top, and then headed down.
On the way down, all three boys got a bit ahead of me, as I was more top heavy with Mikayla, and felt like I needed to watch my step on the rocks and gravel. I just had one of the most tranquil and spiritual moments that I can recall in a long time. In those serene 25 minutes down the mountain, I don't think I will ever forget the feeling of being at complete peace, wearing my (almost one-year old) enjoying every single minute and not wanting it to end. Only one time did Mikayla fuss, and when I started humming a little melody, she fell into a trance and almost fell asleep the rest of the way down.
Reunited at the bottom, feeling tired and accomplished, the boys felt so good about "climbing a mountain." I don't think it is a memory that any of us will ever forget.



No comments:
Post a Comment