The Kiddos

The Kiddos
November 2013

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Is That My Papa?

Again, totally stealing my sister's blog here.

During the third annual Gunden Grandchildren Christmas program, Papa gave all of us a little surprise. 

Mimi and Papa turned part of it into a lesson on giving. They watched a reading of The Giving Tree online, and Papa led a short discussion on how their parents work so that our families have what we need in life, including food. He suggested that we could make a family donation to the Houston Food Bank to help others who may not always have enough to eat. 

Each of the kids got money out of their piggy banks to start the collection. Before the adults were asked for their donations Papa offered extra motivation by saying he would shave his mustache! 

A moment of pause to understand the seriousness of this offer......

I think my mom's reaction says it all:


I mean how could he shave it? Even Norah wants one!


Dad began growing his mustache in 1969 in an effort to look older. I have literally never seen my dad without his mustache. Never. 

Apparently Luka has been asking dad to shave it because it hurts when he gives him kisses. So dad decided maybe it was time.  

The next morning we gathered in the bathroom for the big event. Each of the older kids helped Papa shave off his 42-year old mustache.  






Mikayla was very unsure of her "new" Papa (though it didn't take too long for her to warm back up to him).


So here you have it: 

Before...


And after...



I still think about it every time I see him but I think I like it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment