-A night in downtown Houston with special friends Tamara and Mark who drove all the way in from Boerne, TX and left 4 kids in the care of others to help commemorate the occasion. We went out for tapas, saw comedian Brian Regan, had sushi, and used Uber taxi to get around H-town. We might be getting older, but we have more fun together the older we get! And Hubby did a fantastic job planning and coordinating this special night out!
-I had a fantastic overnight at the lake with Ang and 5 girlfriends who thought a night away from their families sounded like a fun time as well. Ang kept it real simple and made a nice dinner and mom had the house looking very cozy and welcoming. Had a fabulous brunch and I was just reminded about how lucky I am to have these special women as a part of my life.
-On my actual birthday, I awoke to a surprise in the kitchen, orchestrated by the kids (and Scott of course) who helped to make my actual birthday a special one indeed. The cards I received were memorable as well:
Mikayla handed me a card with a bunch of scribbles and said, "Mommy, read it!" I replied, "Ok, it says 'Dear Mommy, I hope you have a great birthday. Love, Mikayla" She looked at me with a big smile and said, "Uh HUH!" Phew. Turns out I know how to read scribbles.
Luka gave me a nice card with coupons for chores around the house.
Vacuum = free
Dishes = free
Compost = free, etc.
So thoughtful!
TJ wrote me a poem in his card:
Happy Birthday to you,
You live in a shoe
You smell like a monkey,
And you look like you're 52.
(Just kidding!
You look like you're 32, even though you're 40!)
Wow, TJ, how nice of you! (This is after the Mother's Day card last year that said, "Dear Mom, you are the third best mom in the whooole world!" I'm note exactly sure what I even did with that card.)
Why on earth he couldn't just write 32 instead of 52 to close out the poem and keep it rhyming is beyond me. Let's see, when I'm actually 52, he'll be 22!
-The night of my birthday, although Scott was working, I was treated to a nice dinner out with both sets of parents. What a treat! I'm actually not sure the last time I had a picture with my parents...
I am still looking forward to a family brunch downtown with the Gundens to mark the day! The kids are all finally getting old enough that we feel like we can venture out and attempt to have a nice brunch out. We'll see how that goes!
Vera pointed out another cool coincidence about Mikayla's and my age, in addition to the fact that she was born on my birthday.
She is 4, I am 40. (4 + 0 = 4). Next year, she will be 5, and I will be 41. (4 + 1 = 5) The next year, she will be 6, and I will be 42. (4 + 2 = 6) and so on until I hit 50 and the pattern breaks!

No comments:
Post a Comment