Well - to make a long story short, 48 hours after thinking about going to Chicago, we're in Chicago! The boys and I are, that is. Mimi decided to make a quick trip to Chicago before her back surgery. I had been trying to get back in February for the kids to see their Great-Grandma and Grandpa Garber. The flights are incredibly open in January and February, so I wanted to take advantage of that. I called G & G on Tuesday morning, and boy were they surprised for the invite. Coincidentally (?) they had nothing on their calendar and were just wondering what they were going to do for the week. So, that solidified it. The stars were definitely aligned. (Plus, Cousin Norah was free to take Chili at the last minute.)
We had 6 seats for the four of us on the way here...I'll be flying solo with the boys on the way back for the first time. They were such good travelers on the way; they are at a great age to travel and just take in all of their surroundings. A few laughable moments:
-Daddy tried to meet us at our gate but missed us by about 5 minutes, so we waved to him from the airplane.
-On take-off, Luka yells to me from across the aisle "Mommy, it tickles my penis." I think a few passengers got a kick out of that, including us.
-On the plane, Luka pulls out both his Jiffy "and "my" Jiffy from his back-pack that he stuck in without me knowing. So, now I have two to keep track of while I am here...I was so forward to letting my Jiffy have some alone time at 23 W. Misty Morning.
-I spent about 20 minutes (no exaggeration) in the airplane potty while both kids went poopie. Seriously? On the airplane? With no ventilation and no water in the tank? At least Mimi was with us to entertain the other kids. Not sure what I would have done had I been by myself on that one.
-Chicago is cold, but at least there is snow! After taking 15 minutes to get all bundled up and putting on whatever we could find, we made it outside for about 10 minutes. The kids were so curious. But alas, we are now conditioned for warmer weather, and we were all pretty wimpy about the cold.
-Mom and I are both still trying to juggle some busy times at work in the midst of child-care...and sharing one computer! It has made for an interesting day...every hour or so one takes the kids and the other takes the computer. But the unspoken rule is that if either of our phones ring, and we say "I have to take this!" that is secret code for "You got the kids, no matter what!"
So, we are enjoying out time here, and look forward to time with G and G tomorrow.
I laughed outloud at Luka's comment about it tickling his penis.
ReplyDeleteIf you're still in Chicago yet tomorrow and looking for something fun to do, take the boys down to Grant Park for "Snow Days". There are some pretty sweet ice sculptures and dog sledding races. That is if you're willing to brave the cold again:)
ReplyDelete