The Kiddos

The Kiddos
November 2013

Saturday, April 24, 2010

I Heart New York

I stole the title of my sister's blog, I liked it so much.  But I do heart New York.  Everytime I go there, I enjoy it even more.  I guess when I can anticipate all that I will see, taste, and experience, I just get a bit giddy.

This visit in particular was special, of course, since it was with immediate and extended family for a New York style wedding.  My cousin Renetta, married Michael Wong, and we took advantage of the opportunity and went a couple of days earlier to enjoy the sights and sounds of the city.

 

I admit, I mostly look forward to the authentic ethnic food you can find on every street.  In the span of 4 days, we had Chinese, Thai, Ukranian, Italian, and Mediterranean.  Yum!

Equally, I (probably we) look forward to spending time with our cousins who live there.  You can always expect a great conversation and adventure with Luke Gunden, and Matt Mullet hooked up with us as well for a good part of Thursday and introduced us to Perogies from the Ukrane.  Tom Zook treated us to a hole in the wall that no other tourist would have even known about; and I love being a part of the local flare.  He also showed us some new architecture projects he is working on which always seem to amaze me.

Scott had his own adventure one night.  Angie and Seth had never seen Times Square, so we popped up out of the subway to the bright lights at midnight one night.  Times Square always has tickets for sale to any show you can imagine, and Scott was determined to see a comedy show that began at 12:30 a.m.  The party poopers (Ang, Seth, and I) parted ways with the partier (guess who?) and the next time we saw Scott, the subway system had left him stranded at 2:30 in the morning.  He decided to cut his losses and run back to the hotel, from Manhattan to Brooklyn, at 3:00 a.m. in New York City.  He did have a surreal moment, standing in the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge, by himself at 3:30 in the morning, as the city was beginning to awaken, and lights from both boroughs surrounded him.


The wedding itself was a great New York experience.  It took place in an art gallery at the bottom of the Brooklyn Bridge, and the view of the Bridge from my seat at the wedding was phenomenal.  We were so happy to be there to help celebrate such a special occasion, in such a special setting.  Congrats Renetta and Michael!


No comments:

Post a Comment