The Kiddos

The Kiddos
November 2013

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Little Eden


Last Friday, Scott and the boys headed to Goshen and then Little Eden, a camp in Michigan, for a much anticipated trip. Scott worked at the camp for a couple of summers in college and had many good memories, and was anxious to show his boys a good time. (I, in the meantime, initially stayed at home eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new little niece, Macy.)


On the way, Scott had the chance opportunity to stop for an overnight and meet up with our good friends, Carrie and Travis, and Brooke and Kumar and family. The kids were happy to see each other again, and danced the night away after a trip to the beach.


Saturday, I headed to be with Norah as Ang was being admitted to the hospital. Baby Macy arrived at about 4:30 a.m., with no complications! I took Norah and Mikayla to the hospital the next morning to meet the newest family member. She is a beautiful baby! I spent the day with Norah and Mikayla back at the house then, and started making preparations to head to Little Eden to join the rest of my family.





In the meantime, Scott and the boys made it to Little Eden on Sunday. They quickly learned their way around camp, and did about every activity available. They headed to Lake Michigan, and though a bit chilly, they enjoyed the sand and dunes.





I was able to join the family on Tuesday, after a layover in Chicago (with MiMi for two hours, on her way to Houston, and PaPa overnight at their house.) In between rain showers and thunder, TJ and Scott (and the rest of us now and then) enjoyed trying out just about every kind of boat there was at the camp: canoe, row boat, kayak, Hobie Cat, a paddle boat and a sun fish. You can guess who did most of the paddling, rowing, and sailing, though TJ sure did give it a good shot. I was able to get out on the Hobie Cat and row boat, but my toes almost froze off!







At the camp, by the roadside, there is an amazing fresh water spring that continuously pumps fresh, delicious water into a drinking fountain. People drive from miles around to fill up their 5 gallon jugs with the real stuff. It never stops running, and hasn't for years. Thank goodness, because the water in the cabins is the nasty hard well water.

When we were forced indoors due to weather, we enjoyed crafts, family pictures on the computer, and many games of Uno and Hi Ho Cherry O. The kids are at a great age to play some of these games now, and it is actually some skill involved now. Luka is such a good sport and doesn't seem to care if he loses, smiling the whole time, while TJ is known to stomp off and pout if someone makes him "draw four."




We got in a good hike that the boys really enjoyed.




TJ had a special day with Grandpa and Grandma to help celebrate his birthday. He got to go miniature golfing for the first time, and also got to go to a place where you build your own Sundae, and wow, did he ever build it. A whole buffet of candy to choose from...as much as his cup would hold. But anyway, who really would want jelly beans and gummy bears as ice cream toppings?? Well, 6-yr olds, I guess!




Luka spent a whole hour with Grandma and Grandpa's good friend John Zook, watching him clean the fish he had caught that day. He was full of questions, and I'm not actually sure which one of them was more entertained, John or Luka!


Luka also hit a milestone - he learned to pump on the swing! He was so darn proud. We spent accumulated hours at the park at the camp, and none of the adults had to push!


Mikayla was as cute as ever, and got in some good grandparent time.



The last night, Scott and I enjoyed a solitary sunset over Lake Michigan on a very beautiful night. The sun doesn't set there until 9:30. It was picturesque, and a great way to end the week. But, when we got back, TJ had thrown up and wasn't feeling well. (What I didn't mention is that I also had a 24 hour bug after arriving, so he must have gotten a form of that.)


In any case, a great vacation, and one the kids have not stopped talking about yet. They are ready to go back already. I'm so glad I was able to join as well...maybe next year the weather will be a bit more cooperative.

Thanks for a great week Grandma and Grandpa Schmucker!

No comments:

Post a Comment