I tackled the summer armed with at least one outing each day. Library programs, kids' fitness classes at the Y, playgroups, $1 movies, trips to the pool...these are just a few of our options. Each night, we talk about the plans for the next day so they know what to expect when they get up. I've increased the amount of chores that they have around the house, and surprisingly, they usually are very willing little helpers, which makes it fun too!
TJ practices reading every day, and Luka "reads" to Mikayla (which they both love), in addition to the books that we always read to them. Scott also installed a pool in our backyard, so that is a great activity for the boys while Mikayla is sleeping and we are housebound. They are both little fish, for sure!
Unfortunately, little Mikayla gets shuffled around a bit too much for her age. I try to let her nap as long as she wants to at least once a day, but inevitably she has to be woken up for at least one of her naps, it seems. Today, we just had to stay in all afternoon so she could nap as long as she wanted, and she slept almost 3 hours! She is also starting to suck her thumb, but nothing consistent. I know it can cause issues later on, but honestly, she really needs to learn some self soothing techniques, and she is still not able to keep in a pacifier, so I'm not opposed to thumb sucking...
With that said, Mikayla is a good sport about it all, and seems to be thoroughly entertained by her big brothers. Her newest activity is her Jenny Jumper, which she sits in for quite some time. She just seems too little to be in this thing! I could seriously just stare at her all day long she is so sweet!
Whenever necessary, I've implemented quiet time in the afternoons. If I'm lucky, I can coordinate it with Mikayla's nap, and I can catch a catnap as well. One day, Luka, Mikayla, and I all fell asleep in my bed. TJ was being a bit obnoxious, so I asked him to go to his room. I woke up 1 1/2 hours later, and I found him sleeping on the floor outside our room!
Last week, we enjoyed a visit from Andrea and Ally. We hit one of the local pools, and the next day, we managed to pick a few blueberries, even though they weren't very plentiful, and poor Andrea was feeling fluish. I managed to pick about 4 lbs, with the help of the boys. The kids did enjoy a snow cone afterwards as a special summer treat.
1. Each person is important.He is having a great time and seems really eager to go each day. He is one of the youngest, and gets to be with the big kids, so I know he is loving that. The first day they made a magic wand of clay that, in his words, "had to be fired up" that night, and today they made a Peace and Love rock. That is about all I have been able to get out of him...
2. Be kind in all you do.
3. We're free to learn together.
4. We search for what is true.
5. All people need a voice.
6. Build a fair and peaceful world.
7. We care for Earth's lifeboat.
Next up: Scott and the boys head to Little Eden in Michigan for a week with Grandpa and Grandma, and I stay home with Mikayla in anticipation of the arrival of my new niece! If the baby comes soon, however, I will think of joining the rest of my family in Michigan if possible. (No doubt about it though, there is a definitely a part of me that would welcome a week to myself at the house with no plans, no cooking, no schedule, and no visitors!)
No comments:
Post a Comment