The Kiddos

The Kiddos
November 2013

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

First Day of School

There is always a first day of school.  That impending date at some point in August that eventually will mark an end to the summer, like it or not.


The boys were pretty ready to go back.  Mikayla, however, couldn't wait to get started...and she is only going one day a week right now.  Over the past year, she has learned the drill.  She knows the boys pack their lunch and backpacks each day, and then at some point in the afternoon, they come home.  Everytime (I mean EVERY) time we drive past their school, she yells "school, Mommy, school!"

Well, I can't explain her enthusiasm when I brought home her little butterfly backpack and her owl lunch box. (Which I, no doubt, loved picking out.)  That evening, she insisted on putting goldfish in her lunchbox and carrying it around, while wearing her backpack.

The boys were so excited to take her in to Spanish Schoolhouse, as they has so many fond memories. Mikayla helped me pack her lunch, we put in her blanket and pacy, and she walked into her classroom with her little butterfly backpack on, very proud.  Once in her classroom, they showed her where to put her lunch, and she came back over and said "Mama, you pick [me] up?" I said "Yes, I will pick you up later."  She said, "Ok, Mama." And she gave me a kiss and went to play with the kids, and turned around and said, "Bye bye!"  And, that was that.  I'm not sure she even said good-bye to her brothers.


The next day, she literally cried because she didn't get to go to school again.  We'll see how long this one day a week schedule lasts.

TJ and Luka, after two days, are definitely trying to get back into it.  TJ appears a bit cautious, but Luka is ready to jump right in.  Unfortunately, his brand new shoes broke already today, and he lost the lid off of his hand sanitizer, so in his words, he had a "horrible" day.


We are working hard to establish expectations and a schedule with the morning routine.  Part of their responsibility is to ensure that their lunch, water, folder, homework, and library book are in their backpacks.  This morning, after I asked him twice, TJ walked out without his water, and that is all there is to say about that.  Wonder if it will happen again tomorrow?

No comments:

Post a Comment