The Kiddos

The Kiddos
November 2013

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Michiana 2013

We made the annual trek to Chicago and Goshen in August.  The kids definitely looked forward to going.  Even Mikayla seemed to know that we were finally going to Chicago.  You might recall that every day this summer, she would say, "Where Mimi and Papa?"  We would diligently answer,  "Chicago."  Interestingly, we no longer hear this question from her daily, but twice now she has asked, "Where Gwama and Gwampa?"  Now when I answer "Goshen" she says, "I wanna go!"  I think she has good memories, and there are a lot!

Mikayla got her first glimpse of "Daddy's work" and got to sit in the cockpit for a bit.


We first went to Goshen to spend a few days.  Grandma and Grandpa had many activities in mind, including biking on the pumpkin trail, and canoeing down the Elkhart River.  Of course, many hours were spent in the basement, and the kids also helped Grandpa pick our meal from the garden on a couple of occasions.








I'm not sure how much canoeing was actually accomplished, but evidently, there was quite a bit of oar fighting.  I'm sure I would have been annoyed, but Scott said he hadn't laughed that hard in a long time!




And, a trip to Goshen would not be complete without a trip to The Chief for ice cream.  Mikayla was adamant that she wanted pink...and pink she got!




We were able to spend some time with Great Grandma and Grandpa as well, even as they were preparing for their move.  I was actually still working while in Goshen, and was very happy to work at their house for the day, which allowed some extra conversation with them.  Scott and I also enjoyed a very nice tour at Juniper - and the tour guides were most excellent!  We were also happy to have the opportunity for and adult lunch with adult conversation at the Juniper restaurant. :=)


Chicago offered all kinds of different excitement!  A train ride on the El is always an event.  


The talent show at the Children's Museum was a highlight for Luka, and evidently TJ told a knock knock joke that got a good round of applause.  As it appears, even Mikayla got onstage to take her turn, but not sure she made it to the mic!


We took a trip to Navy Pier and had a fantastic Ferris Wheel Ride and a Cirque Du Soleil show that was a highlight for sure - even Mikayla was entranced.





A stop at the fancy water park with slides that Luka was tall enough to go on...yeah! 


And of course, Brown Cow, where TJ enjoyed his first Root Beer Float ever!



And by the way, who knew the Forest Park had hiking trails?  I think that even Mimi and Papa were perhaps a bit surprised at how big they were.  Definitely something to explore more next time.

Seemingly, another highlight for the kids was new opportunities to wear their wheel shoes.  This has been one of the best investments we have made, toy wise, as so many other actual toys continue to go unused.  TJ is on his second pair.  In addition to where they are in these videos, they are great for airports and Wal-mart alike!




 Our trip back found us on an evening (and delayed) flight back, and what we got in return was a gorgeous sunset.  And to think that this is Scott's office every time he goes to work!


This is Mikayla on the plane, watching the free cartoons with the words across the screen that lasted the entire time we were delayed, thank goodness.  Unfortunately, I thought she would fall asleep, but she never did the entire trip back!!

No comments:

Post a Comment