Overall, while logistically challenging (I spend hours trying to research camps, sign kids up, coordinate work schedules, etc.) it is worth it. We feel very fortunate that we can have a good balance of down time, play time and scheduled time when school is out, while still maintaining work schedules and allowing the kids the summer camp experience that lets them get a taste of new experiences. And I tell the boys, "if you don't like it, you only have to go 4 more days!"
Since school has been out:
Week 1 - Stars Wars Church Camp (who knew there were so many positive messages to be pulled from that story line?) My personal favorite project that they did was a necklace called "The Great Story Beads," that commemorate key events in the 13.7 billion year Epic of Evolution.
Week 2 - Luka had a drama camp that he loved. It was pretty impressive what they could do with those kids in just 1 week. Just imagine...Luka...drama...
Mikayla even got to go to gymnastics camp with big brother TJ. It was admittedly a bit weird to drop her off at the camp for the afternoon. She barely turned around to say good-bye and that was that.
Week 3 - Rock Band Academy. Again, the boys loved it. The instructor was fantastic. Concert line-up included We Will We Will Rock You (Queen), Whole Lotta Love (Led Zepplin), Born To Be Wild (Steppenwolf).
Week 4 - Basketball Camp. Again, thumbs up. Now Luka says he wants to sign up for basketball in the fall. However, it was eerily similar to watching him play soccer as a 3 year old...running as fast as he can but never quite seeming to ever touch the ball.
Week 5 - Pump It Up camp and a field trip to the Blue Bell ice cream factory

Another fun field trip was to the Houston Airport (imagine that) to celebrate it's 45th anniversary. We got to tour the 787, a Fed Ex plan, and several small ones as well. I was actually pretty curious to see what the inside of the Fed Ex plan looked like...just a huge open space with a bunch of rollers on the floors!
I surprised the kids with ice cream one afternoon; they did not turn it down.
For Father's Day (for which this is the only picture) we surprised dad by making homemade lanterns and setting them all around the yard for him to see when he got home. It was pretty cool and the kids had a great time making them. I think we were up the night before until about 11:00 trying to finish!
This was how I found Luka one afternoon. Said he "needed a snack." I reminded him of where the stool is. Really?
I'm loving my little spot of color this year in my back patio It hasn't been nearly as hot this year, so they are actually surviving. The herbs are doing great!
We managed to get wood flooring down in our bedroom and are loving it. So fresh and clean and spacious.
Who says you can't play in the rain? The picture doesn't show it, but it was coming down pretty good. Nothing like jumping down into the squishy mud. I think they had a shower both outside and then again inside that day.
And now, we are off to Destin Florida on Saturday!



No comments:
Post a Comment