The kids and I went blueberry picking this morning. They were pretty excited about it, initially. I packed their breakfasts for the 20 minute van ride, and they hopped in the wagon upon arrival, each cradling their sparkling white buckets with eyes wide open.
So, we haven't had much rain down here. There actually were blueberries, but I (not we) certainly had to work for it. I ended up getting about 6 lbs. in a hot two ours, pulling down top tree branches and picking one at a time. No blueberry clumps this time around. Luka picked about 20, which he was pretty proud of (reminds me so much of the book Blueberries for Sal,) but I'm not sure TJ had even one in his bucket. I did look over at one point, and he was stuffing fist fulls of my hard earned possessions into his mouth. I put a stop to that pretty quickly.
They did certainly enjoy making blueberry muffins and munching on those throughout the day. So, aside from planting the blueberry trees, they did see what it takes to put food on our table, full cycle almost. And, at least they now know that blueberries don't just come from the grocery store!
No comments:
Post a Comment