Wow - 32 weeks already! Where does the time go?
Little girl, you are giving me a way different experience than what I had with your brothers! And, I certainly know that won't be the last time that I say that.
Let's see...we thought we had the contractions under control a couple of weeks ago. I doubled the dosage of Calcium/Magnesium, and while that calmed the contractions for a few days, I think my body got used to it again, because I definitely still have them, though they are still not as strong.
I did take the Fetal Fibronectin Test, which was negative, and basically assures with 99.2% accuracy that my body will not go into labor in the next two weeks. That was December 10. So, safe for two more weeks? Sounds pretty good! We may need to do the test again, but one day at a time for now.
Last Thursday, I woke up with pretty strong cramping in the middle of the night, and was up for close to 2 hours, almost to the point of timing the contractions. A dull cramping lasted until noon the next day. When I called the next morning, they did not have huge concerns, since the pain and contractions were still holding no real pattern.
Friday, my regular appointment was scheduled for 9:00. Melanie (the midwife and owner of the birthing center) was a bit anxious to see me and went through a whole series of questions to determine any other symptoms. She evidently had been talking to my doula (Sally) the day before about all they could do to make sure I get to 37 weeks. After determining no other symptoms for pre-term labor were present, she did check my cervix, and immediately showed her relief that it was exactly as it should be. I could see her concern dissipate, and of course that made me feel a ton better. While examining me, she also said she thought she was feeling the head of the baby pretty low already. So she scooted me on over to do an ultra-sound room next door to confirm (note, no ultra-sound appt needed). Sure enough, the baby's head is very low in my pelvis (totally normal), which could be reason for cramping. Again, I could sense the relief with everyone in the room.
We then had a bit more fun...she is confirmed to be a "she," once again. Yeah! Additionally, they started laughing at the hair on her head...evidently she has a ton more than the average baby, and you could see it sticking straight up. Wow, and to think that Luka was balled for two years!
I continue to be amazed at how comforting it is to be surrounded by these wonderful women who are taking such time and care for my individual pregnancy. It's hard for me to imagine confronting my contraction issues in the more sterile environment of the typical Western doctor's office. I honestly think that I might be on drugs and bed rest right now had I gone that route. Instead, the individualized care I am receiving, in the comfort of a birthing center, with certified mid-wives who specialize in promoting a natural birth as opposed to intervention, is so reassuring.
In any case, I continue to take it very easy. Mornings are best, but by late afternoon and evening, I'm pretty much one big fake walking contraction, that goes away as soon as I sit or lay down. So, I pretty much lay around. MiMi is here almost every night that Scott is gone, and Grandma and Grandpa are here for the Schmucker Christmas right now and they are holding down the fort for sure. We feel so incredibly lucky to have so much family around, who are so willing and able to help with the day to day activities.
One more exciting note...my sister is expecting too in July! We are 20 weeks apart, and we are all so thrilled to think about these two cousins being so close in age. Yeah!
No comments:
Post a Comment