As I sit here typing this from Luka's bedroom, while he slowly falls asleep, I wonder sometimes how things can change so quickly! The last week with Luka has been rough at night. He seems to not be able to fall into a deep sleep or to put himself back to sleep. He has been the great sleeper between the two kids since he was a baby, so this has been quite a change for us. Here are a few of the main reasons I have had to go up to his room about once an hour on average the last several nights:
-"Mine shirt is untuck!"
-"I need water"
-"I have potty"
-"Elmo fell down!"
-"Light not on"
-"Elmo not right!"
-"Mine door not shut"
-"Have itchies on mine leg"
-"ELMO FALL DOWN!"
One theory that seems probable is that he could be sub-consciously worried about peeing in his diaper at night, so he can't quite settle down. It is pretty unbelievable how he was trained so quickly, and at night too. Regardless, something is troubling him at night, so we've made a few changes so that hopefully he will feel like he has more control of the situation.
-First and foremost, we moved his crib mattress to the floor. Then, if he chooses to throw all of his 12 stuffed animals that he has to sleep with off of the bed, he can go get them on his own. Also, he can travel freely without having to go through all of the effort to crawl out of the crib, and hopefully feel like he has more freedom (within limits.)
-Another big change is that I have decided to sit in his room and read a book, work on computer, etc., not only to let him fall to sleep peacefully with me here, but also to avoid running up the stairs 10 times between 9 and 10:30 every time he screams and doesn't settle down. Argh.
-Last, we have set up TJ's monitor in our room, and the receiver in Luka's room, so that if we hear him calling out to us in the middle of the night, we can just talk to him from our beds and hopefully coax him in to falling back asleep without having to go up there.
Certainly for selfish reasons as well as looking out for his best interests, relieving stress for all involved is the short term goal to allow us both to catch up on sleep and then figure out what comes next. One day at a time at this point. Who knows...I'll probably end up sleeping on his bedroom floor at some point again tonight, but at least he is sleeping peacefully as I finish up this entry!
No comments:
Post a Comment