I know...pregnancy #3 and we still go to birth class? This round, however, we are attempting a "natural" birth, which almost seems like a silly concept, considering how long women and giving birth have been around. Truly, though, it does seem that pregnancy and giving birth have become much more institutionalized than necessary, especially since the turn of the 20th century...treating them almost as an illness as opposed to a naturally occurring event, what with all the interventions (epidurals, pitocin, cesarean, etc.) that seem to be more common than not.
This entry is not meant to judge anyone else and their individual circumstances and decisions. What Scott and I have come to believe and understand for ourselves, however, is that choosing to live as nature intended, whether it be by eating foods in their natural state, or having a baby "naturally" when possible, is the route we prefer to take.
I firmly believe there is a time and a place for western medicine and intervention. Many women have died in childbirth, or have not been able to conceive at all, and today's medicine can miraculously change the outcome of these types of situations. Having TJ at 33 weeks was an eye-opening experience for us, and it made us very thankful for the modern medicine and the technology available. With Luka coming shortly after, we were excited at the prospect of just making it to full-term, and thankful for being able to have the standard hospital birth, epidural and all.
However, if the circumstances surrounding the birth of this little girl allow for a natural birth, this will be an opportunity to embrace. So far, I have been working with a group of midwives at a local birthing center, and this is where we plan to have the baby. My first hurdle will be making it to 37 weeks, as this is a requirement for avoiding the hospital. (Luka was 38 weeks.)
The learning journey continues to be eye-opening for me. The birth class was reassuring, and I am slowly building the confidence in myself to believe that I can do this despite the pain. I understand now that the pain is necessary, and it is in fact what causes a woman's body to open up, allowing a birth to occur. I'm not here to lecture...my point is that I am learning so much about a woman's body, the birthing process as nature intended it to be, and my own self-awareness and stereotypes of giving birth. My mental capacity will be tested, but I am looking forward to the endorphine high and euphoria that can only chemically occur with a natural birth. I'm also anticipating the absence of the hospital environment and having so many professionals decide what is best for me and the baby, without really giving me a say.
One of the recent experiences that Scott and I shared just last week was watching the documentary The Business of Being Born. Along the lines of Food Inc. or the movies by Michael Moore, this film provides a birthing perspective other than what you get from mainstream society. It helped to put into words for me why our "birth plan" this time feels so right. Certainly a "must see" for anyone considering various birthing options.
In our birthing class this weekend, which was based on the book Birthing From Within, there were 3 other couples in their first pregnancy, each having a girl. They were all so worn out after the weekend. Scott and I had to chuckle. When in the last 5 years had the two of us actually spent over 6 hours a day together, focused on a single "project, "and we even had two lunch dates in the mix? We were energized and ready to go! A huge thanks to MiMi and Papa who so willingly took the boys for us.
So, I'm 27 weeks now. Here I am, baby bump and all.
Here I am at 33 weeks with TJ, the day he decided to make his grand entry into the world. Not much difference... maybe this time I will actually get to wear maternity clothes!

A few other things we have a different perspective on then the first time: We have hired a doula and a labor photographer, and we plan to have the boys with us to take in the whole experience, to the extent that they choose to do so. More to come I am sure on each of these...
Two thoughts for what they are worth. I remember my doula telling me that all women stand at the door of their birth, regardless of whether it is the first or fifth and are scared. It is normal and part of the process. When I went into my labor I remember wondering why on earth I wanted to do it without an epidural. I couldn't remember, I just had to trust I was in a more rational state when I made the decision thant I was at that time. After we got in the groove and figured out what techniques worked for my contractions it went fine ... until of course we had to deal with a breach Jessica. :( Praying for 37 weeks!
ReplyDelete