The Kiddos

The Kiddos
November 2013

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Sweet Dreams

It's 7:38, and BOTH of my kids are still sleeping. To be fair, they did have a late night at a Divali party (and Indian celebration of light) but Luka is actually sleeping in his bed upstairs, and not in our room. He's been in our room the last several months, when he had trouble settling down and we found ourselves up in his room about 5 times a night.

Luka typically had been waking up at 6:40, almost to the minute. Three mornings ago, I had set my alarm to get up a 6:00, in an attempt to beat the "morning rush," workout, and jump in the shower. Instead, Scott and I found ourselves both awake, laying in bed, trying to get Luka to settle down and go back to sleep. Needless to say, I didn't workout, I didn't have my shower, Scott went up to sleep in the guestroom, and my outlook on the day was a bit tainted.

That night, I decided, what the heck? I put Luka up in his bed, and after 30 minutes of running in and out of his room (which was typical when he was sleeping in our room too,) he settled down and slept the entire night. Last night he went down immediately, and as I said, is still sleeping as I write this.

As we approach Luka's 3rd birthday, we are just reminded of this little boy's journey through life thus far, and specifically, his individuality. Luka has always been a "ham," as Mimi likes to call him. He has always had definite opinions and has never been "the easy child." He loves to make people laugh, he is always testing the boundaries, and he is a very bright little child. Luka has also cared very much about what he wears (or doesn't wears) as this is one way that he can feel in control of his little world.

I came across this picture recently, and it just says so much to me about who he is. The pacifier, no shirt (he says he's hot) the boots that he slept in for several nights, and of course, the Jiffy, that got drug all around the campsite...Luka is his own little person, and a very very special one, indeed. Speaking of Luka, I think I hear him now...

1 comment: